The earliest records we hold date back to 1797 for the two cottages that form the current pub. The left hand cottage as you face the building being known as Rose Cottage
with thanks to:
The Kentish Village of River by Douglas Welby
The History of Royal Oak in River
The earliest records we hold date back to 1797 for the two cottages that form the current pub. The left hand cottage as you face the building being known as Rose Cottage We are able to bring you the History of the Royal Oak with thanks to; www.dover-kent.com The Kentish Vilage of River by Douglas..Read More
Edward & Charlotte Halladay are noted as residing in the property
The parish register records Edward Halladay’s occupation as Publican, the earliest known evidence of the Royal Oak trading
On 11 April 1865 the Title documents for the Royal Oak show that the Halladays purchased the pub for £250 from the estate of Thomas Buler. The Title stating ‘All that messuage or tenement (then and for many years past known as the Royal Oak)’
Charlotte Pierce Halladay passes away on the 9 June 1891 and the pub is inherited by her daughter Mrs Amelia Buchanan. The property is being leased to Gardner & Co, brewers of Sandwich Road in Ash for the sum of £25 per annum in rent.
12 June 1901 the owner of the Royal Oak, Mrs Amelia Buchanan renews the lease to Gardner & Co. The annual rent being £36 per annum
On 19th August 1927 at the Licence Transfer Sessions the “Royal Oak beerhouse,” River was transferred from Stephen Smith to Thomas W. Marlow, of the “Royal Oak,” River, manager of the above. The family group is composed (from left) of Thomas and Elizabeth Marlow, licencees in 1927, Stephen Smith, landordfrom 1899 (when the furniture, stock..Read More
The Royal Oak closed its doors on 11 October 1940 and would not reopen until 1944.
In 1944 a wine licence was granted enabling the sale of wine for the first time on the premises. Evidence was given at the Dover Licencing Sessions that there was a demand for wine amongst woman customers!
The full licence was applied for in 1949, and the following year, the full licence of the Hotel de Paris was transferred here as the Hotel de Paris in Dover was demolished by the Harbour Board for redevelopment.
30 October 1970 Gardner & Co (who were bought by Whitbread Fremlins in 1968) sell the Royal Oak to Whitbread Fremlins for £9,771 19 shillings and 4 pence
In 1972 Shepherd Neame purchases the Royal Oak from Whitbread Fremlins
17 January 1975 Frank James Percival the Landlord of the Oak sells Stone Cottage to the rear of the pub to Shepherd Neame who then amalgamate the titles of the Oak and Stone Cottage together to form one property
1983 saw the pub closed for alterations and during that process the cottage next door was incorporated expanding the pub to three cottages.
The earliest licensee records for the Royal Oak date back to Edward James Brockman who was the licensee in 1889-1899. He was also a brickmaker and aged 49 in 1891.
In 2007 Shepherd Neame had a kitchen extension built to enable food to be prepared.
November 2017 the pub is bought by the current owner and begins it’s next chapter.